Regional Outstanding Teacher Award
The NACTA Regional Outstanding Teacher Award is presented to one individual from each of five regions (Eastern, Southern, Central, Western and Canadian). NOTE: To simplify the awards submission process, the Regional Outstanding Teacher Award Checklist has been deleted and molded into the "Selection Criteria for Your Dossier" section below. Please consult this section for help in preparing your packet. Thanks!
To qualify for the award, a NACTA member must have previously received the NACTA Teacher Fellow Award and currently be on a full-time appointment involving at least 25% teaching. A committee of NACTA members reviews applications.
selection criteria for your Dossier:
- A cover page, including membership status to address eligibility. The cover page should include the following information:
- Name, title, professional address, telephone number, e-mail address of the nominator;
- Name, title, professional address, telephone number, e-mail address of the nominee;
- A list of the awards for which the nominee is being nominated, including the regional award for which you are being considered; and
- Cover letter to the Chair of the Teacher Recognition Committee which addresses items 2, 3, and 4 below:
- Evidence of an individual NACTA membership for at least three years (be sure to address this). Membership will be verified with the NACTA Secretary.
- Evidence that the nominee has been on a full-time appointment involving at least 25% teaching for at least five of the past seven years is required. (A statement by an academic administrative officer will suffice.)
- Nominee for the NACTA Regional Outstanding Teacher Award must have received the NACTA Teacher Fellow at least two years prior to being nominated for this award. Nominee must clearly state when they received the Teacher Fellow. Verification will be made with the NACTA Secretary.
- A statement of the nominee's teaching philosophy, not to exceed five typewritten (double-spaced) pages.
- A summary of student evaluations of teaching for the most recent five years, plus letters of support from 2-3 current or former students. Please ask students to complete the Teacher - Current Student form on the NACTA Awards main page.
- A completed Teacher - Administrative Officer Form from an administrator directly related to the nominee's teaching activities. Please see the NACTA Awards main page.
- A completed Teacher - Peer Form from a faculty peer. Please see the NACTA Awards main page. It's even better if this is done by peers outside of your institution.
- A self-evaluation of nominee's teaching activities to include the following sections:
- availability to students
- ability to attract and motivate students
- use of current, innovative and effective teaching methods
- current in subject matter, including relevance to agricultural, environmental, natural and life sciences
- scholarly activities related to teaching
- participation in departmental, institutional and profession affairs
- outreach and engagement related to teaching
- student related activities (e.g., Club Advisor, etc.)
- A summary of nominee's promotion and enhancement of teaching
- A summary of nominee's involvement with NACTA
- Nominee's resume/vita, limited to 4-pages total
*** Note: Nominees who are not selected for this award may be considered the following year without updating their files, but new copies must be submitted to the Chair of the Teacher Recognition Committee. However, a nominee can and may wish to update the packet if additional supportive material would enhance the nomination.
Attendance at annual meeting: Nominees should recognize that NACTA and sponsors expect awardees to be present at the annual conference to receive their awards. A consent of nomination implies that the nominee has an intention and, if selected for an award, will make a reasonable attempt to attend the annual conference. All award recipients are expected to participate/make presentations at future NACTA conferences.
A photograph and short biography of each award recipient will be included in the awards program at the annual conference. Submit a biography not to exceed 250 words in WordPerfect or Word format, along with a good picture in the form of a JPG or GIF file (the larger/better quality, the better your picture will be). The biography and picture should be sent via e-mail to the Chair of the Teacher Recognition Committee.
Deadline for all nomination materials is 11:59 PM on March 1.
First impressions do count. Attention to neatness of organization, format, and presentation of dossiers makes a difference.
New instructions: Submit all award nominations online at http://nactaawards.expressacademic.org/login.php
For each nominee, upload one single PDF file that includes all nomination materials (all document, letters of support, teaching evaluations and other relevant documents) at the website by 11:59 PM on March 1st.
We will only accept one PDF file for each nomination, and the website will not combine your materials into one file if you upload multiple files for each nominee. Evaluations of all nominees will be conducted through the website and neither the Teacher Recognition Committee nor the evaluators will be able to put multiple files together for one nominee.
Visit the website at http://nactaawards.expressacademic.org/login.php for information on how to upload your files. If you haven't used this website before, you will need to create your own id and password. If you have any problem uploading files, contact Rick Parker at
or Nick Fuhrman at
Deadline: Nomination materials for all awards (except Distinguished Educator and Teaching Award of Merit) must be uploaded at the website by 11:59 PM on March 1.
What region are you in? See the NACTA Regions Defined webpage.
Updated February 8, 2013.